10 Reasons to Visit JH During Our October Off-Season:
Do you want to visit Jackson Hole when it’s at its quietest and most affordable? We get this question a lot! We have the answer since one of those times is coming up.
October is part of the off-season dip for the Hole, the other time being mid-April through mid-May. Here are 10 reasons (among others) to visit Jackson Hole during our October off-season:
1. The weather’s great! While mountain weather is always unpredictable, the snow won’t be kicking into gear yet in the lower elevations. Highs hover in the upper-50s and lows at around 30. The air is crisp, and it’s time to get cozy!
2. You’ll get to see spectacular Fall foliage! Lots of amazing photography to capture!
3. Traffic, what traffic? The only kind of traffic jams you’ll probably encounter is from our natural residents. The legendary migrations get underway with the changing temps and weather patterns, especially along the National Elk Refuge.
4. Access to the parks. You can still access most of the land in Yellowstone and GTNP until later in the month, when road closures begin their regularly-scheduled seasonal shut-downs. You won’t experience much in the way of temporary closures either, since wildfire season is pretty much over by September’s end and snow doesn’t usually start in earnest until November.
5. Vocal natural residents. While you’ll always hear our natural neighbors, there’s a lot of extra chatter among the animal folk during Fall—elk bugling during their rut, migrating geese and other birds honking overhead, bellowing bison as they shift around, etc. It’s quite the symphony.
6. Prices! Yep, $$$ makes a big difference. We know, we get it. Like anywhere, off-season rates are at their lowest with the dip in visitor numbers. For example, lodging options are a bit constricted, like some of the dude ranches and sportsmen’s lodges closing their doors temporarily, but there are still plenty to choose among. Outdoor-focused merchants (think safari, fishing, rafting) are another example who tend to have reduced rates while still mostly open for business.
7. 2-for-1 restaurant deals. To continue the cost advantage with an October visit, many of our restaurants and eateries have gotten to offering 2-for-1 deals to entice you! It’s a beautifully satisfying belt-busting time. You can start here: https://www.seejh.com/businesses/food-drink !
8. Shopping! Besides restaurant discounts, less people means less jostling crowds to deal with, hardly any lines, more focused service (Jackson Hole is very well-known for great service among its many merchants, but more customers naturally means attention spread thinner), and SALES, SALES, SALES!
9. The skies above. If you like star-gazing and admiring the heavenly canopy, then October is one of the best times to be here! While the nights get longer, they tend to be at their clearest also, since October is one of our driest months and Winter’s overcast skies won’t be arriving for awhile.
10. Events. There are still plenty of events going on. Check out our FB page’s Events section and your eyes will pop! We’re an active community year-round, and you can get more of an authentic feel with some of our lower-key goings-on, like film festivals, ski swaps, concerts (like Diamond Rio this year!), Halloween-related activities, and programs even at the Jackson Hole Airport!
Images: @mp_photography1313; @mediumcore; @merejune; @betsystevensonclearcreekjh; all on IG